Dean Donna Ploessl, Ph.D.
“We prioritized our Foundation funds in three separate ways. We used the funds to support our new Grainger Community Counseling Clinic, increased our scholarship offerings for students and made renovations in a Wills Hall classroom. We’re very thankful for the donor support we receive.”
College of Education and Human Development Report
- The Grainger Community Counseling and Wellness Clinic will open fall 2022. The clinic will provide free mental health counseling for the citizens of Montevallo
and surrounding communities. Graduate students in counseling will provide these services under the supervision of the Clinic Director Dr. Latofia Parker.
- The Family and Consumer Sciences Program will offer the new concentration of hospitality and tourism beginning fall 2022.
- The Department of Teaching, Leadership and Technology will offer a new baccalaureate degree program in Early Childhood Education beginning fall 2022.
- In 2018, CEHD was awarded a $25 million, seven-year GearUp grant by the United States Department of Education. Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs Jefferson County (GU-JC) currently serves more than 4,500 students, and is designed to improve access, opportunities and outcomes for students from historically marginalized populations and underserved communities, particularly students of color, students from low socioeconomic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
- One-hundred percent of programs in CEHD include clinical experiences in the world of practice.
- The new Master of Science in Exercise Science Program at the University of Montevallo provides advanced academic training in exercise science with a special emphasis on nutrition and strength and conditioning. Our highly qualified faculty, premier laboratory equipment, small class size and opportunities for applied practice offer students an exceptional graduate experience.
- The Department of Teaching, Leadership and Technology will offer a new, fully online Master of Education in Applied Instruction beginning fall 2022. This program provides advanced preparation in applied instruction across varied industries where education and training are integral to client success.
- The University of Montevallo’s online graduate education programs have once again earned the distinction of being amongst the nation’s best online graduate education programs, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 Best Online Graduate Programs Rankings. The online master’s degree programs in UM’s CEHD ranked high nationally and fourth in the state.
- Since 1931, the University has sponsored a child development laboratory for preschool children. The Child Study Center serves as an observation laboratory for multiple departments across campus. The Center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and hosts an Office of School Readiness (OSR) First Class 4K classroom.
“Donors are helping encourage lifelong learning and quality education as well as students becoming teacher-leaders.”
– Shanna Petty, who will graduate in May 2023 with master’s degrees in instructional leadership.