The application process is simple. Download the application from the link below and fill it out. Then get a teacher or counselor to complete the recommendation on the last page and send us the completed application. Then you need to request your school counselor to send us your records. Once we receive your completed application and school records, we will review your application. If you qualify, we will contact you for an interview. Interviews are held in-person at the University of Montevallo, but may be held online if necessary.
The University of Montevallo hosts three Upward Bound programs but we only have one application. You will be placed in the appropriate program based on the information you provide in your application and in your interview.
What you will need
There are some things you will need to complete the application.
You will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to open the TRIO Upward Bound application. It’s free and available for the desktop and Android and iOS. You will also need to familiarize yourself with the Fill and Sign tool in Acrobat Reader. This will allow you to complete the form on your computer or device before printing it out, although you may print the application and complete it by hand. If you do complete it by hand, please write as neatly as possible, especially any names and email addresses.
If you don’t have a printer, you should be able to print the form out at school.
You will need the following:
- USCIS number if applicable
- Your taxable income from 2019. We will accept an income tax form, but it is not necessary. All we need is a statement of your income.
- Download and complete the application. We request that you complete at least the Student Information page in Acrobat Reader DC so we can clearly read the information on that page. The rest of the application can be completed in Acrobat Reader DC or you can print it out and complete it by hand.
- Sign everywhere there is a signature blank. Again, you can sign in Acrobat Reader DC using the Fill and Sign tool, or you can print out the completed forms and sign them.
- Print the form and give it to a teacher or counselor who can give you a recommendation.
- After getting the recommendation from your teacher or counselor, request that your counselor send us the following records: transcripts from the previous year, test scores, free or reduced lunch form (if applicable), and current year’s schedule.
If you are ready, get the application now UM TRIO Upward Bound Application