Housing & Residence Life

Safety & Security

Health and Safety Inspections

Typically the third week of each month, the HRL staff will inspect your room to ensure that you are in compliance with Housing & Residence Life Policies and Health and Safety Policies. If you are not in compliance with the policies, you will be documented and disciplinary action can be taken. Be sure to read all policies carefully.

Room Entry

University officials, including HRL staff members, reserve the right to enter your room, locked or unlocked, at any time it is deemed necessary. Entry may be required for the immediate resolution of problems such as rule enforcement, maintenance problems, illness, hazards, and other similar emergency situations. HRL staff members are not allowed to let other students in your room without your written permission.

Your Room Key

Your room key will be issued to you when you check-in. You will be responsible for turning in your key when you check-out of the residence hall. Keys may not be duplicated. If you lose your keys, report it immediately to the HRL Office. The locks will be changed for your protection and your account will be charged $85 per lock that is changed.

Lock Out Keys

If you find yourself locked out of your room between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday – Friday, come to the HRL Office to borrow a “lockout” key. This key must be returned within 24 hours. If you are locked out after office hours, or on a weekend, see the RA on duty.

Electronic Access

All residence halls(except Peck Hall, College Creek Apartments and College Park Apartments) are equipped with electronic access to outer doors. There are at least two perimeter doors in each building which will be accessible electronically. The magnetic stripe on the back of your UM ID Card will provide you access to your building after hours. As you swipe your card through the reader, the door will unlock and allow you entry. Only those residents who live in that building will have access.

Since the card reader uses the magnetic stripe to read your card, DO NOT PUNCH HOLES OR OTHERWISE DAMAGE YOUR CARD! If you want to attach your keys to your ID Card, we suggest you use one of the UM ID Card holders available from the UM Bookstore. If you lose your UM ID Card, report it immediately to the UM Solution Center.

With this comes shared responsibility for the security of all the residents of the hall. All residents should:

Carry their card at all times when leaving the building.

Report any lost or stolen cards immediately to the Solution Center. A new card will be issued to you for a fee and your old card will be disabled.

Remember that the card issued to you is for your use only. Never allow another person to use your card at any time.

NOTE:  Tampering with or vandalizing electronic access equipment in the buildings is a very serious offense! If you notice damage, or you see someone vandalizing the equipment, report it immediately to the UMPD or to a hall staff member.

Emergency Call Boxes

Each residence hall is equipped with one Emergency Call Box on the exterior of the building. Be sure you know where your building’s Emergency Call Box is located. Each Emergency Call Box is equipped with telephone touch pads and an emergency button. The emergency button automatically calls the UM Police Department and should be used for emergencies only.


If you suspect that your property has been stolen, contact the University Police Department (205-665-6155) as soon as possible after the article is discovered missing.

The University of Montevallo and the Housing & Residence Life Office are not responsible for loss of or damage to personal property.

Personal property includes, but is not limited to, clothing, furniture, computers, sports equipment, books, items left in storage, items left in laundry rooms, etc. This policy includes damage and loss due to water, fire, mildew, theft, natural disaster, etc.

If your belongings are damaged or lost, you must file with your personal insurance company for recovery of cost. If you are not sure whether your belongings are covered by insurance, check with your parent’s insurance company. You are encouraged to purchase renters insurance to cover loss or damage.

Fire Safety

Fire and safety equipment in the residence halls is necessary and protects life and property. However, this equipment does no good if it is not in proper working order or if used improperly. Exit signs, fire extinguishers, hoses, alarms, smoke detectors, and heat sensors are safety features which safeguard the residents in case of fire. MISHANDLING OR DAMAGING THIS EQUIPMENT IN ANY WAY IS PROHIBITED. Familiarize yourself with the emergency escape routes and procedures that are posted in your room.

Ways You Can Help Contribute To Fire Safety

Keep all hallways, stairwells and entrances clear of boxes, bicycles and other objects that obstruct the passage way.

No smoking of any type in the residence hall.

Unplug curling irons and other appliances that create heat.

Do not bring toasters, electric fry pans, hot plates, microwaves, space heaters, or other open coil appliances.

Do not overload outlets.

Extension cords not allowed unless part of a surge protector.

Do not burn candles, lanterns or other such “open flame” types of luminaries.

Fire Drills

In accordance with University regulations, HRL conducts a fire drill at least once a semester. Failure to evacuate a residence hall during a fire drill will result in a fire safety violation. Remember, when an alarm sounds, always take the alarm seriously and assume there is a fire!

What To Do When A Fire Alarm Sounds

You should always follow the designated evacuation routes. Never use the elevator. If you encounter smoke or fire, use another route or return to your room if necessary. Once outside of the building, go to the designated shelter area and do not reenter the building until you are told by a staff member that it is safe.

Remember: When a fire alarm sounds, always take the alarm seriously and assume there is a fire!