Sources of Financial Aid

Federal Work Study

What is Federal Work Study?

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program (FAFSA required) is a federally funded aid program designed to help students offset some educational costs not directly associated with their UM student bill. FWS provides part-time employment for students with financial need, allowing them to earn extra money beyond other types of financial aid. Students will earn at least the current minimum wage, up to their maximum award amount. The FWS award is based on information filed on the FAFSA, the student’s level of need, and available funding from the U.S. Department of Education. Please note that the amount of the award may be reduced or cancelled if funding is reduced or other types of need-based aid are received that impact the student’s eligibility. Once the student accepts the FWS offer, they may contact the Student Employment Office for a listing of available work study jobs at FWS offers are cancelled if a job is not secured by the student within the first 30 days of the designated term or the initial award offer once the designated term has begun in order for additional students to be awarded.

How do I accept my FWS award?

  • Go to UM’s website
  • Scroll to the bottom and click Banner Self Service.
  • Log in with M# and PIN (six digit DOB, MMDDYY).
  • Click “Financial Aid” tab.
  • Click “Award for Aid Year” and select the award year and submit.
  • Click “Terms and Conditions” tab and follow the instructions. This is where you can view the description of Federal Work Study also listed below.
  • Click “Accept Award Offer” tab to accept/decline aid offer.

What are my next steps?

Go to the Student Employment website for available job positions and then apply for the job(s) you are interested in. Complete the interview/hiring process with the appropriate supervisor. The supervisor will then send the Student Personnel Action Form (SPAF) to the Student Employment Office.  The Student Aid Office will work with the Student Employment Office to verify the FWS award. The Student Employment Office will then contact the student via UM email with attached new employee paperwork for the student to complete. In this email the student will be instructed to make an appointment with the Student Employment Office representative. The Student Employment Office representative will then send the student and appropriate supervisor an email giving approval to start work. You are now ready to begin work!

The steps listed above are also available on our Downloadable Forms webpage.

FWS Procedures (PDF)

Student Employment Office

Please visit the Student Employment Office webpage, where available on-campus jobs are listed.

Student Employment Office