Graduate Studies

Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate Financial Aid Information

The 2023-24 FAFSA opened October 1st! If you need assistance with filing your FAFSA, contact the Student Aid Office!

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Net Price Calculator and Cost of Attendance

Consumer Information

Income Tax Credits, Deductions and Information for Graduate Students and Others

Federal Aid Processes:

The primary communication with graduate students is through UM email and Banner Self Service. Graduate students are strongly encouraged to check UM email and Banner Self Service weekly to monitor requests for additional documentation, notices of financial aid packages and offers, and other vital information. Graduate students accept/decline aid offers through Banner Self Service and are provided access information to UM when admitted.

After filing the FAFSA, graduate students may need to submit additional information to complete the process. Notification will be sent through UM email explaining the need for additional documentation. Please respond immediately, or aid will be delayed.

The links below contain additional detailed information that is important to completing the federal aid process:

Student Requirements

Application Process

Award Notification

Terms and Conditions of Award

Maintaining Federal Aid

Helpful Information

Downloadable Student Aid Forms

Sources of Student Aid

There are several ways to finance your graduate educational experience at the University of Montevallo. Scholarships are available from a number of sources and are awarded based on demonstrated merit or need. On-campus employment is offered through the Federal Work Study (FWS) Program and through jobships, fellowships, and assistantships offered by the University. Various loans are also available. Other options are available to U.S. veterans through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits.

The links below contain detailed information about each of these funding options.

Federal Work Study


Please note that graduate students are only eligible for the federal direct unsubsidized Stafford loan or federal graduate PLUS loan through FAFSA and may be eligible for other alternative/private student loans through banks and credit unions.

Veterans Affairs

Student Aid Administrator’s Code of Conduct

Scholarships based on financial need require a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be filed. The FAFSA opens each year on October 1st. In order to be considered for need-based scholarships, students should file the FAFSA by March 1st each year at The FAFSA school code for UM is 001004.

Institutional Scholarship Reminder

The University of Montevallo will not permit students to receive any institutional scholarship funds beyond the direct cost of attendance, which includes tuition, fees, room, board, and books, in a refund. This does not affect any outside sources of aid such as veteran benefits, PACT, external agency scholarships, federal grants and loans.

Here are a few external opportunities that we encourage you to explore.

  1. Check with your parents’ employer(s), or even your potential employer(s), to see if they offer scholarships.
  2. Contact professional or government organizations that are affiliated with your major or desired career field to see if they offer scholarships.
  3. Check with local civic organizations or churches to see if they have scholarships for which you may apply.

Outside Agency Scholarships

Students receiving an Outside Agency Scholarship should have checks mailed to the following address:

University of Montevallo
Student Aid Office
Palmer Hall, Station 6050
Montevallo, AL 35115

Please make sure that the full student name and UM ID number are included with the scholarship check.
If the check is made out only to the University of Montevallo, the student will not need to endorse the check.
If the check is made out to the University of Montevallo and the student, the student must endorse the check before mailing to the Student Aid Office for processing.
The Student Aid Office will receive and process the outside agency scholarship payment and will deliver to the Office of Student Accounts for payment to be applied toward the student bill. It is the University of Montevallo’s policy that we split the total amount received from an outside agency scholarship equally between the fall and spring semesters if the check does not include a cover letter or note in the memo for which term payment should be applied.
Students may complete the Outside Agency Scholarship Form to specify how they would like funds to be disbursed towards their student account. This is only in the case that a cover letter is not included with the received payment.

The Outside Agency Scholarship Form can be found here:

2022-23 Outside Agency Scholarship Form
If the check is made out only to the student, the student must endorse the check and either cash or deposit into their personal checking account. The student would then need to make a direct payment to the University of Montevallo’s Office of Student Accounts in order for these funds to be applied towards their student bill. The student would also need to notify the Student Aid Office of the outside agency scholarship funding in order for the Student Aid Office to record these funds as part of the estimated financial aid package. This is required by Federal Title IV Law, which states that all forms of estimated financial aid (EFA) must be noted in the student’s financial aid package and considered as a part of the student’s eligibility calculation.