The Falcon Scholars in Action program, is a service-learning program that places UM students in agencies and programs throughout Shelby County, to gain credible experience and training beneficial toward their degree or professional goals, while serving the needs of our community. Examples of services provided include: GED/ACT/SAT preparation, tutoring, coordinating physical activities, marketing, administrative duties, and providing training in job skills, computer skills, and social skills. All majors are eligible and the program seeks diverse experiences for students, that are transferable to their future careers and aspirations. Students selected are provided with an annual stipend to offset expenses incurred while serving at their assigned agency.
Applicants must submit a completed UMFSIA application to the Falcon Scholars Coordinator either electronically, by handmail, or in person. Students must atleast be entering their sophomore year during start of service, to be eligible.
Applicants must ask two individuals complete and submit recommendation forms either electronically, by handmail, or in person. One of the references must be a faculty or staff member.
For current Falcon Scholars: Shelby County contact form fsia.shelbyal.com
Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Global and Community Outreach
845 Valley Street
Montevallo, AL 35115
Why should you become a Falcon Scholar?
- Earn up to $3,000 in stipends
- Credible career experience
- Personal and professional coaching
- Monthly workshops or trainings
- Service recognition and graduation cord
- Serve a minimum of 20 hours a week for one semester or 10 hours a week for two consecutive semesters
- Fulfill duties as assigned by agency supervisors
- Attend monthly group FSIA meetings on campus
- Complete a timesheet each month
- Submit the required program evaluations each semester