Engaged Education and Public Service

Study Away

What is Study Away? Where can I go? What can I study? Study Away gives students the unique opportunity to travel, learn, investigate graduate schools, and earn college credits, while interacting in different settings and cultures. However, opportunities don’t stop there. There are also other educational activities to participate in away such as: research, intern- or externships, field studies, clinical or observational trials, and service learning experience.

Study Away does not substitute for or relieve any residency requirements. Awarding of academic credit is dependent on the type of program and agreement under which the student studied. In all cases, students are encouraged to confirm academic credit arrangements before leaving campus.

For more information on Study Away opportunities please check out the information below and our FAQ page.

National Student Exchange (NSE)

National Student Exchange (NSE) is a network of colleges and universities that exchange about 2,000 students annually.  Students are able to participate in exchange throughout the U.S., Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. NSE has been in existence for over 50 years, starting with an exchange between three institutions. To date, there have been over 100,000 students participate and take advantage of the new adventures and learning opportunities NSE has to offer.  With NSE, you can use financial aid, Pell grant, and scholarships to participate in this experience.  Students can choose from over 100 colleges and universities to participate on exchange at http://www.nse.org.  To start the process, please contact Joyce Jones. You can reach her at 205-665-6077 or email at jonesjt@montevallo.edu. She will assist you with finding the right school for your educational goals and will provide help with the application process.

Faculty Led Trips

Each summer the Foreign Language faculty takes a small group of UM students on an excursion to a location abroad for directed classes and cultural immersion. UM faculty lead the coursework and direct sightseeing, making for a rich and meaningful experience that extends beyond the classroom. The fees for these excursions are a few thousand dollars, not including passports and additional fees. Interested students should consult with the Foreign Language Department to check on application due dates, fees, and to verify which trips will be offered each summer.

English & Foreign Language Study Abroad Program

Faculty interested in leading a program please refer to the Guidelines for Foreign Travel.

Study Abroad

The Study Abroad affiliates and non-affiliates offer over 50 programs in 30 countries and are steadily growing.  With studying abroad, students are able to take courses that UM may not offer as well as learn alongside students from various other colleges and universities in a different environment.  Over the past 30 years, over 1 million students have participated in various study abroad programs.  Financial assistance, such as scholarship and Pell grants, may be available to help finance your study abroad experience.

Study Abroad Affiliates

The study abroad affiliates are not limited to these. If you find another program that interests you, we may be able to collaborate with the program. Please contact Joyce Jones at 205-665-6077 or email jonesjt@montevallo.edu.




Local courses taken through the BACHE Consortium or transient courses transferred from local universities are not considered Study Abroad courses. Study Abroad can include formal exchange programs with other universities, trips sponsored by the University of Montevallo, or trips sponsored by other institutions of higher education. The length of time can range from a few weeks to a full semester or academic year.

Academic Exchanges

The University of Montevallo currently has two international academic exchanges, one with the Technische Universität Dortmund and the other with the Télécom Ecole de Management. Outgoing UM students will pay tuition to UM and will be responsible for housing, board, and other fees to the host institution. The Dortmund Exchange is recommended for sophomores/juniors, especially those with interest in German language or culture. The Telecom Exchange is recommended for juniors who are either majors or minors in a business field. Both institutions use English as the language of instruction.

  • Dortmund Exchange
  • Telecom Exchange


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides grants for individually designed study/research projects or for English Teaching Assistant Programs. A candidate will submit a Statement of Grant Purpose defining activities to take place during one academic year in a participating country outside the U.S.

Fulbrighters will meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences. The program facilitates cultural exchange through direct interaction on an individual basis in the classroom, field, home, and in routine tasks, allowing the grantee to gain an appreciation of others’ viewpoints and beliefs, the way they do things, and the way they think. Through engagement in the community, the individual will interact with their hosts on a one-to-one basis in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity, and intellectual freedom, thereby promoting mutual understanding.

Grant lengths and dates vary by country. Please consult the specific country summary for details.

Applicants for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program include:

  • Recent graduates: Graduating seniors and recent bachelor’s-degree recipients have some undergraduate preparation and/or direct work or internship experience related to the project.
  • Master’s candidates: Candidates must demonstrate the capacity for independent study/research, together with a general knowledge of the history, culture, and current events of the countries to which they are applying.
  • Young professionals, including writers, creative and performing artists, journalists, and those in law, business, and other professional fields: Competitive candidates who have up to 5 years of professional study and/or experience in the field in which they are applying will be considered. Those with more than 5 years of experience should apply to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars in the Fulbright Scholar Program.
  • Competitive applicants to the Fulbright U.S. Student Program will not have recent extensive experience abroad (excluding recent undergraduate study abroad), especially in the country of application.

Contact the UM Fulbright Program Advisor, Dr. Scott Turner at (205) 665-6199 or turners@montevallo.edu for more information.


NSE and Study Away Checklist

NSE and Study Away Course Approval Form