Non-affiliated Persons Wishing to Film on Campus
A permit or agreement is required for all filming at the University of Montevallo.
Procedures to Film on Campus
All persons wishing to film on the UM campus should fill out the Film Request Application.
The filming request will be evaluated and a decision will be made based on the following factors:
- Does it interfere with educational, research, program functions or previously scheduled events?
- Does it pose a security or safety risk?
- Does it compromise the privacy of any faculty, staff, student or visitor at UM?
- Does it include any potential logistical problems?
- Is it appropriate and protective of the intrinsic value of The University of Montevallo name and deemed consistent with the University’s best interest?
Film Request Applications should be submitted at least twenty (20) working days prior to the planned filming.
A copy of the final script (storyboards might be acceptable and judgment will be determined on a case by case basis) must be submitted for review. The review process can take up to twenty (20) working days. Any changes or revisions should be brought to the attention of the Office of University Marketing & Communications. Substantive script changes could cause the University to withdraw its permission.
In only rare cases will a Location Agreement be issued without a script.
If the requestor is not affiliated with the University, or if a college/school, department or division is using an outside production company/producer/photographer for a project, the producer/production company must sign a Location Agreement, indemnifying and holding UM and its Trustees, employees, students, and agents harmless from all claims and causes of action. The producer/production company shall provide a Certificate of Insurance Coverage, naming UM as an additional insured. The Certificate of Insurance Coverage should serve as evidence that the producer/production company has the following insurance policies:
- General Liability Insurance with limits of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrences insuring against all liability of the Producer/Production Company and its authorized representatives arising out of or in connection with the use and occupancy of the location
- Property Damage Liability Insurance with a limit of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence
- Adequate Workmen’s Compensation Insurance
- Adequate Automobile Insurance
A Location Agreement will be sent electronically to the producer/production company after review and approval of the filming request. No filming by a non-UM affiliated individual or organization can take place at UM without the execution of a Location Agreement by both the producer/production company and UM.
The use of a drone for filming at the University of Montevallo will only be allowed under limited circumstances, and is highly discouraged.
Flights of drones are prohibited on University properties during all outside events, including but not limited to:
- Any sporting or athletic event, including games, practices, and any other associated outside activities
- Any group or outside social events, including concerts, ceremonies, Bid Day, and/or events associated with Welcome Weekend
- University parades on or off campus property
- Scheduled group events, including graduation
University of Montevallo Identification and Appropriate Use of Campus Images
Identification of the University of Montevallo as the filming location, use of the University’s name, logo or brand is not permitted, except in rare instances and only when the specific use is submitted for prior approval to the Office of University Marketing & Communications. The request will be reviewed by UM administration and will only be approved when deemed to be in the University’s best interest.
Identification includes but is not limited to trademarks, icons, widely recognizable University landmarks, and the use of merchandise containing trademarked images/logos (ie. apparel, flags, posters, miscellaneous items containing logo, etc.) Identification also includes verbal references on film.
Scout visits are not only helpful to the production, but also helpful to the University in order to clearly determine the needs of the production. A request for a scout visit should be made to the Director of University Marketing & Communications at email@example.com.
If a scout visit is scheduled, the Director of University Marketing & Communications will advise you on making your time on campus most effective and will also coordinate all logistics for you during your shoot.
Permission for scout visits does not constitute approval by the University for the use of its facilities.
Questions about filming at UM or these procedures should be directed to Kira Thomas, Director of University Marketing & Communications, at (205) 665-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.