Follow these tips for getting the best experience from the Wi-Fi network in residence halls.
- Do maintain your device by following best practices (e.g., maintain strong passwords, security patches, operating system and software updates, anti-virus software, software firewall).
- Do use the FalconNet Secure wireless network for your phone, tablet or laptop.
- Do use the UMGaming Open wireless network or (even better) a wired ethernet connection where available for devices such as your smart TVs and gaming consoles. A wired connection will reduce Wi-Fi footprint in the area (leaving it free for other devices) and provide the most consistent streaming and gaming experience.
- Do use your room’s activated wired ethernet network jacks located at the bottom of the white Ruckus device in your room. If you have the option to use a wired ethernet network jack while in your room for remote learning please do. A wired connection will offer you the best network performance.
- Do use your devices Wi-Fi settings to “forget” the UMConnect network, this network is only for setting up new devices and has very limited access.
- Don’t connect to the UMGaming Open wireless networks with a device that is capable of connecting to FalconNet. If you already have joined the UMGaming network with a device capable of connecting to FalconNet, then to protect against accidentally re-connecting, use your Wi-Fi settings on the device to “forget” UMGaming from your list of wireless networks.
- Don’t place any large pieces of furniture, especially electronics or appliances, in front of the white Ruckus devices located on a wall in your room. These Ruckus access points provide the wireless network signals to the surrounding area. Obstructions and radio interference from electronics, appliances or fans can cause wireless connectivity and performance issues for you and/or your neighbors.
- Don’t bring a wireless router, wireless extender or wireless printer to use in your residence hall room. These device’s wireless signal will cause interference with the Montevallo wireless network and impact performance and availability in the area for you and for your neighbors. Activated wireless “hotspot” functionality on phones may also cause interference. A printer with the wireless feature disabled or direct-connect USB or Bluetooth style printer will function properly.
Please contact the Solution Center at (205) 665-6512.