Wednesday, November 11
CELEBRATE ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE!
(You’re out of school for Veteran’s Day…why not make the MOST of it???)
Note: All events in COMER on UM campus. See schedule for room numbers BY TIME!
- 8:00 a.m.-11:35 a.m. COMER 302 and 304
- 9th and 10th grade required testing,
- TUTORING, Scholarship Assistance
- 11:35 a.m.-11:45 a.m. Break
- 11:45 a.m.-1:30 p.m. COMER 202 (1 CE Credit) Adelante Book Group Dialogue And (light lunch…for those “hungry” to learn!)
- Hear about two books you MIGHT want to read!
- Topic: Revisiting Wartime Experiences through Biography and Letters
- Wolves at the Door, the Story of America’s Greatest Female Spy by Janet Pearson. A biography of Virginia Hall, World War II heroine, who, despite the loss of a leg early in life, became a successful spy for Great Britain in Nazi occupied France. Presenter: Becky Cox Rodgers.
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. An epistolary novel about a literary society formed by a group of unlikely, eccentric characters on the island of Guernsey, and about the young female author who champions them. Set during and immediately after the WWII Nazi occupation of Guernsey, the book uses a deceptively humorous tone to depict the courage and ingenuity with which the characters face hardship, deprivation, and tragedy. The book serves as a tribute to all book groups, since the literary society enables the characters to prevail and to renew their lives (From Amazon.com Review). Presenter: Marcia Sears
- 1:30 p.m.-1:45 p.m. Break
- 1:30 p.m.-4:45 p.m. TUTORING as needed…contact Mrs. Buff or call (205) 665-6289; 516-5007 to schedule!